Enjoy!

January 4, 2010

Blue Bugs on a Log

Blue Bugs on a Log

Blue Bugs on a Log

Blue Bugs on a Log

One of my favorite snacks as a kid was the "Bugs on a Log" creation. They were fun to make, fun to eat, and also were relatively healthy! This time, I decided to make them with a little twist.

I got had the idea when I wanted to use up the rest of the celery that I had purchased for the Chicken Soup and the blueberries from yesterday's brunch. I halved each stalk of celery longways and cut them into 2-2.5 inch pieces. Then I carefully smothered some Skippy's smooth peanut butter over the top. Then I replaced the usual raisins ("bugs") with the fresh blueberries ("fatter bluer bugs") and they came out quite tasty!

The flavors were lighter and more delicate than if I had used raisins. The blueberries still delivered a sweet bite, but also a few extra layers of complexity from the tannins in the skin.

All and all, I'd say that this was a nice grown up rendition of the playful "Bugs on a Log" snack. Plus, they photograph wonderfully!

More pics can be found here.

3 comments:

Patrice said...

Wow..your photos are gorgeous! I never would have thought of this combination. Used to have raisins on our peanut butter/celery, but now must try this. Thank you.

Amy Blogs Chow said...

Thanks for following me on twitter, Julie! I'm so happy you did cause now I have a new food blog to follow. These blueberry bugs are so cute. Have a great weekend!

chow and chatter said...

oh this is so cool and great snaps

Post a Comment