Enjoy!

January 7, 2010

The Mermaid Oyster Bar



After being "twersuaded" by @MermaidInnNYC, I spontaneously decided to check out the $1 oyster special at The Mermaid Oyster Bar on Tuesday night. However, I had no idea that my simple endeavor would turn into a comprehensive oyster and beverage tasting. Thanks to Jonathan, my fantastic bartender/oyster navigator, I was able to experience some delicious new appellations and compliment them to a wide range of drinks. I also chit chatted with Steve, the general manager, about the restaurant and the world of food. They were both exceptionally knowledgeable and friendly people.

The restaurant interior was charming and tastefully whimsical. The cream walls, black and white photographs, white-boarded ceiling, and soft candlelight made this place feel comfortable and clean. I arrived earlier in the evening (around 6:30-ish) so only a couple pairs of patrons were at the bar.

I started my night off with half a dozen Wellsfleets (one of the $1 specials) and a selection of some others that I hadn't tried on their regular raw bar menu. All of the oysters were superbly fresh. They were also masterfully shucked and held a good amount of liquid with little grit.

After my first dozen, I ordered a handful more of my favorites. Jonathan made it more interesting by offering to do a little drink pairing/tasting. Each beverage was just a few sips so I didn't get buzzed despite my weaksauce tolerance. To my surprise, there are several kinds of drinks that paired quite well to oysters. While I'm happy to simply savor the oysters with plain ice water, certain beverages can enhance the experience. Jonathan also had selected a couple of other oysters that I hadn't chosen before. One of them was the Malaspina, which he noted as an "adventurous" oyster that is seldom ordered. After pairing it with some prosecco and also eating it alone, I concluded that I absolutely loved it.

On the conclusion of the pairing experiment, I enjoyed a heavenly cup of chocolate mousse with whipped cream and played around with a Fortune Teller Miracle Fish. Regardless of what the fish was saying, I knew that I was lucky. Below are my notes about the different oysters and drink pairings.
  • Wellfleet from Massachusetts: Contained in a 2-inch light-colored shell, this oyster tasted like the fresh sea. There's a good amount of saltiness in that small body. It's briny, but it finishes lightly and leaves a clean feeling in your mouth like a salt gargle followed by seltzer water.
  • Hama Hama from Washington: Found in a long slender shell, this oyster has a distinct taste of cucumber. There's a sweet brininess to the meat.
  • Shibumi from Washington: This petite oyster is found in a deeply cupped shell and has a wonderfully sweet and smoky finish. It's plump and creamy. There's a good balance of salt and brine. Perfect for those who like Kumo's (like me)!
  • Mystic from Connecticut: Contained in a large, scalloped shell that's coated with a layer of faint green. The meat fills much of the large cup. It's light, sweet, chewy and has just the right amount of salt for me. While most oysters taste like they're in the ocean, these taste like they were relaxing by the ocean.
  • Pemaquid from Maine: The meat is large, firm, chewy, and briny. It's held in a narrow and long shell. It has a lemony zest to it, that is truly enjoyable when you're able to chew on it for so long. 
  • Malaspina from British Columbia: At first glance, I knew that this was a special oyster. The body had an alien twist to it, which a beginner might be nervous about. There were more textures in the meat, which was a refreshing change from the usual squishy and creamy types. At one part, it almost felt like I was chewing on a blood vessel. I know that sounds weird, but it was fun to eat! The flavor was bold, buttery, and mildly sweet.
Drink Pairings
  • Muscadet, Melon De Bourgogne 2007 (France): This lovely winter white is often regarded as a classic oyster wine. I thought that its crisp and sweet flavors complimented the Mystic oyster quite nicely.
  • Sauvignon Blanc 2008, Frenzy, Marlborough (New Zealand): In order to compare the effects to the Muscadet, I tried this white wine with another Mystic. The tangy, spicy orange flavors from the wine definitely made for a bolder companion to the oyster. When I sipped the wine to start, I nearly lost the oyster entirely. It would've been better to eat first and then sip. 
  • Sixpoint Otis Oatmeal Stout: This craft ale was far from my usual beer choice, but the aroma of roasted coffee and malt was appealing. Jonathan had me pair it with a plump Shibumi. "Creamy with creamy" was the name of the game. I first slurped down the sweet oyster and followed with a sip of the bitter stout. The transition of flavors was surprisingly smooth. It was difficult to distinguish when the oyster finished and the stout began. 
  • Vodka and Pernod (20,000 Leagues cocktail remix):  Jonathan poured a concoction of Kettle One with Pernod. I slowly took a sip. It tasted surprisingly subtle and quite delicious. Paired with a large Pemaquid, both definitely made a statement. The minty Pernod took the oyster out of the sea and plopped it into a pool of sweet licorice.
  • Prosecco NV, Zardetto Private Cuvee (Italy): Finally, I came to the drink that was the most familiar to me. The last oyster was a Malaspina, an oyster that I have never had before. The dry prosecco contrasted sharply with the sweetness of the oyster. It almost overpowered its entire taste, but was nonetheless interesting. This is another drink that should be sipped after the oyster is eaten and not before. 
So there you have it. Great service, delicious food, comfortable atmosphere— a trifecta that will surely bring me back to The Mermaid Oyster Bar someday soon.

Photo Credits: Steve Wells.
(Since this was an unplanned trip, I didn't have my camera with me. Steve was kind enough to take some photos with his iPhone. Thanks Steve!!!)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Julie. This is your bartender pal Jonathan. Almost a year later I finally stumbled upon this.

Sadly I'm no longer at TMOB. I've actually moved to Singapore and will be here working as a Theater Teacher till 2013. Crazy long story. Keep eating, be well and happy new year.

Post a Comment